Jul 3, 2008

Game Review - Dracula Origin


Dracula Origin is the third game of this type from The Adventure Company. A point and click adventure game. After playing Dracula Sanctuary and Resurrection a few years back I was hoping Dracula Origin would be a little more exciting, especially with all of the advancements in graphics and physics engines over the years since I last played those games.

I must admit, I was some what disappointed in this game. The graphics were OK at best. Nothing really jumped out at you and made you say hey that was awesome or yeah that's cool. The audio was also just OK and the voice acting I thought was as flat as the storyline. Bram's Stoker while a classic to me is out dated. I thought the storyline was done in an extremely lackluster way and I thought the pace of the game was too slow. There was no urgency to save Mina.

Game Play:
Minor Spoiler Alert

This game is supposed to be about Dracula. Yet you only get to see him during the opening sequence of the game, and at the end of the game during the final confrontation, if that's what you really want to call it. There is absolutely no scariness or fearfulness for your own characters well being in this game. There is also no suspense to it either. Your character Professor Van Helsing slowly plods across the screen to hot spots you can easily find by pressing the space bar. You methodically collect items that you need to highlight or combine to solve puzzles. Most of the puzzles are logical and pretty straight forward making them fairly easy to solve. There were only two occasions where I needed to consult a walkthrough. The first one was the eight pointed star lock, and the other one was the Arsenal locker where I failed to click on an informational item that prevented me from entering the correct combination.



System Requirements
  • Windows XP SP/2 / Vista
  • Pentium IV 1.5 GHz / Athalon XP1500+
  • 512 MB Ram
  • Disc Space Required 2.5 GB
  • 128MB video card Directx 9.0 c Compatible
  • Directx 9 Compatible sound card
  • 4 X CD Rom
  • Mouse, Keyboard & Speakers




I GIVE IT A 4 OUT OF 5


No comments: